GOAL NextGen Youth Programme for Young Leaders 2023
GOAL NextGen Youth Programme for Young Leaders 2023 – GOAL’s NextGen Youth Programme brings together young people from all over the world to better understand global justice issues and deepen their understanding of Global Citizenship. This programme will guide young, motivated change makers to learn all about the UN Sustainable Development Goals, particularly in relation to food and climate action, and how we can strive to create a fairer and more sustainable future for all. Participants will collaborate in creating awareness-raising materials to help share their learnings and hopes for our connected world.
The programme is a 7-week engagement with young people in Ireland and select GOAL programme countries focused on creating the learning and empowerment opportunities necessary for positive youth-led change.
Through participatory workshops and cross-cultural collaborations, youth programme participants will deepen their understanding of global citizenship and linked global justice issues.
Much more than a once-off programme, upon completion all participants of the programme will join GOAL’s NextGen Youth Network as the facilitators and multipliers of GOAL’s message of Global Citizenship.
GOAL NextGen Youth Programme Benefits
In order to support participation, stipends will be available for all successful participants. Stipends are intended to cover costs of internet and data as well as any travel costs incurred during the programme.
Stipends of €400 for the duration of the programme are available for all successful participants
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Over these 7 sessions, participants will work with peers across the world to develop skills in critical thinking, intercultural communication, project management, teamwork, and the fundamentals of organising and implementing public awareness campaigns.
By taking part you will be empowered to:
- Understand the diverse and interconnected nature of our world.
- Critically interrogate the systems that perpetuate inequalities.
- Reflect upon your own role and the role of others in tackling local and global challenges.
- Engage in dialogue with others in a spirit of empathy, inclusivity, solidarity and collaboration.
- Develop the courage, confidence and resilience to speak out for change.
- Understand the GOAL’s work and have the opportunity to connect with GOAL staff.
GOAL NextGen Youth Programme Qualification Requirements
To be considered, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Comfortably fluent in English.
- Between 18 and 25 years old.
- Available for 7 seminars between May and July. Seminars will be between 1-2 hours, and will fall on Thursdays and Saturdays (see timeline for actual dates).
- Be open and willing to engage in teamwork in between seminars.
- Demonstrate basic/emerging understanding of local and global
- Show clear initiative and desire to be a part of positive change (this could be demonstrated through volunteering, participation in local events, workshop facilitation, tutoring, creative extra-curricular activities, etc.)
Interest in participating in artistic
methods of learning (this could be
demonstrated through a passion for
drama, art, creative writing, journalism, music or any other artistic disciplinary.)
- Current resident of Ireland, Ethiopia, Honduras, Sierra Leone, Uganda, or Zimbabwe.
- Reliable access to a “device” and internet is desired but not essential. If you do not have access to a device, please let us know in your application and we will endeavour to support your participation.
GOAL NextGen Youth Programme Interview date, Process and Venue
The 2023 Programme will consist of 7 sessions that take place online, with 2 sessions in person for Irish based participants.
- Sat May 20 Irish based participants in-person 12-3pm. Hybrid meeting with all participants 3-4pm
- Thurs May 25 All participants online 3-5pm
- Thurs June 8 All participants online 3-5pm
- Sat June 17 Irish based participants in-person 12-3pm. Hybrid meeting with all participants 3-4pm
- Thurs June 22 All participants online 3-5pm
- Thurs June 29 All participants online 3-5pm
- Thurs July 13 All participants online 3-5pm
Seminars to take place on Thursdays at 3pm Irish Time and Saturdays 12pm Irish Time.
In order to ensure participation of this global cohort, seminars will take place on Thursdays at 3pm Irish Time (8am Honduras, 2pm Sierra Leone, 4pm Zimbabwe, 5pm Ethiopia & Uganda).
Seminars will run 1 to 2 hours and can be tailored to the needs of the group and the topic at hand.
How to Apply
1. Email [email protected] with the subject line Name, Country, NextGen
Youth Application by May 5th
2. In your email let us know if you have access to a phone or laptop
3. Attach your CV (keep it simple! an
outline of your educational background,
voluntary and/or professional work is
enough), and a 1 page cover letter to [email protected] addresses the
1. Tell us about yourself! Why are
you applying for this programme, and why do you think you are a good fit?
2. What skills do you bring to this
programme, and what would you like to gain from it?
For more details, visit GOAL website.