Cost of Living in Edo as NYSC Corper: If you’ve been posted to Edo state for your National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program, you’re probably wondering how much it will cost to live there.
Edo State is a beautiful and diverse state in southern Nigeria, with a rich history and culture. It is also home to a number of major industries, including oil and gas, agriculture, and manufacturing.
The cost of living in Edo state varies depending on your lifestyle and spending habits, but it’s generally considered to be more affordable than some other parts of Nigeria.
This blog post will cover all you need to know about the Cost of Living in Edo as NYSC Corper in 2023.
Cost of Living in Edo as NYSC Corper in 2023
Accommodation is one of the biggest expenses for NYSC Corpers in Edo State. The cost of accommodation varies depending on the location and type of accommodation you choose.
If you are posted to a major city such as Benin City, you can expect to pay between N75,000 and N300,000 per year for a one-bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood.
If you are posted to a smaller town or village, you can expect to pay between N40,000 and N100,000 per year for a one-bedroom apartment.
- You can consider sharing an apartment with other NYSC Corpers.
- Looking for apartments that are located close to your place of work or school.
- Negotiating with landlords on the rent price.
- Ask for discounts as an NYSC Corpers.
Food is another major expense for NYSC corpers in Edo state. The cost of food varies depending on your eating habits and where you choose to eat.
Generally, Edo state can be considered as one of the places you see affordable foodstuffs and food because they have farmers all over the state and compared to Lagos and other major states, food is cheap.
If you cook your own meals, you can save a lot of money. You can buy food items from local markets or supermarkets. The cost of food items varies depending on the time of year and how well you budget. However, you can expect to spend around N5,000 to N10,000 per month on food items. You can actually save more by buying things in bulk.
If you choose to eat out, you’ll spend more money. The cost of eating out varies depending on the type of restaurant and the food you order. However, you can expect to spend around N1,000 to N2,000 per meal at a normal restaurant.
Transportation is yet additional expense that needs to be included into your budget. How frequently you travel and how far you go both have an impact on the overall cost of your transportation needs.
Another thing that affects the cost of your budget for transportation is how close you live to your place of primary assignment. If you stay close to your PPA, You will likely spend low compared to if you stay far away.
If you live in Benin City, you have access to the city’s extensive network of public transit options like cab or taxis, bus, keke napep, etc.
The cost of using public transit is not kind of expensive. Travelling by bus or cab will cost you anywhere in the range of N100 to N200 depending on your destination.
Entertainment and Miscellaneous Expenses
As a corper in Edo, it is important to strike a balance between exploring the vibrant culture of the state and managing your finances responsibly. One way to do this is to allocate a portion of your budget for entertainment, leisure activities, and miscellaneous expenses, such as toiletries and phone credit. Setting aside N10,000 to N15,000 per month for these expenses should suffice without straining your wallet.
Total cost of living
The entire cost of living for NYSC corp members in Edo state varies greatly based on the lifestyle and spending habits of each individual. Nevertheless, you should plan on spending somewhere in the range of N30,000 to N50,000 every month.
Tips to Save Money in Edo State as a Corper
Here are some tips to save money in Edo State as a Corper:
- Cook your own meals: Eating out can be expensive, so cooking your own meals is a great way to save money. You can buy food items from local markets or supermarkets. The cost of food items varies depending on the time of year, but you can expect to spend around N5,000 to N10,000 per month on groceries.
- Use public transportation: Public transportation is very affordable in Edo State..
- Live in a shared apartment: If you’re on a budget, you can opt to stay in a shared room in a hostel or lodge. This will cost you less than renting your own apartment.
- Get a job: If you want to earn extra money, you can get a part-time job. There are many part-time jobs available in Edo State, such as teaching, tutoring, or working in a restaurant.
- Ask for help: If you’re struggling to make ends meet, don’t be afraid to ask for help from your family, friends, or the NYSC authorities. They may be able to offer you financial assistance or other forms of support.
- Negotiate prices: When buying goods or services, don’t be afraid to negotiate prices. This is especially common in markets.
- Buy in bulk: If you have the storage space, buying in bulk can save you money on groceries and other household items.
- Avoid impulse purchases: Only buy things that you really need and can afford.
The average cost of living for NYSC members in Edo state varies greatly from person to person due to differences in lifestyle and spending patterns. On the other hand, you ought to budget somewhere in the range of N30,000 to N50,000 every single month.
You may have a good time in Edo state without going into debt if you create a detailed budget and make wise choices as you manage your finances there.