Are you a prospective NYSC corper planning to serve in Delta State in 2023? Then this blog post is for you! In this post, we will discuss the cost of living in Delta State as an NYSC corper, including the cost of accommodation, food, transportation, and other expenses.
Delta State is a coastal state in southern Nigeria. It is known for its rich oil and gas resources, as well as its beautiful beaches and rainforests. The state capital is Asaba, and the largest city is Warri.
The cost of living in Delta State varies depending on your location and lifestyle. However, in general, the cost of living in Delta State is lower than in some other parts of Nigeria, such as Lagos and Abuja.
Why You Should Consider Serving in Delta
There are many reasons why you should consider serving in Delta State as an NYSC corper. Here are a few:
- Cultural diversity: Delta State is one of the most culturally diverse states in Nigeria. It is home to over 25 ethnic groups, each with its own unique language, culture, and traditions. Serving in Delta State will give you the opportunity to learn about and experience different cultures.
- Economic opportunities: Delta State is a major oil-producing state in Nigeria. It is also home to a number of other industries, such as agriculture and tourism. Serving in Delta State will give you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in a variety of industries.
- Natural beauty: Delta State is a beautiful state with a variety of natural attractions. Serving in Delta State will give you the opportunity to explore and enjoy the state’s natural beauty.
- Friendly people: The people of Delta State are known for being friendly and welcoming. Serving in Delta State will give you the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends.
In addition to these reasons, Delta State is also a relatively safe state to serve in. The state government has put a number of measures in place to ensure the safety and security of NYSC corpers.
Cost of Living in Delta as NYSC Corper in 2023
Here is the Cost of Living in Delta as NYSC Corper in 2023:
Where you live is one of the biggest expenses you will have as an NYSC corper in Delta State. The amount of rent you pay will vary depending on the city or town you live in and the type of accommodation you choose.
In Warri, the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is around N15,000 per month. In Asaba, the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is around N20,000 per month.
If you want to save money on rent, you can consider sharing an apartment with other corpers. You can also consider living in a hostel or lodge, which is usually cheaper than renting an apartment.
Food is another major expense for NYSC corpers in Delta State. The amount of money you spend on food will depend on your eating habits and where you choose to eat.
If you cook your own meals, you can save a lot of money. However, if you eat out all the time, your food costs will be much higher.
The average cost of a meal at a local restaurant is around N500. The average cost of a meal at a more big restaurant is around N2,000 to 5,000.
Transportation is another expense that NYSC corpers need to budget for. The amount of money you spend on transportation will depend on how often you travel and how you choose to get around.
The most popular way to get around Delta State is by bus. The average cost of a bus ride is around N200. You can also get around by taxi, but taxis are more expensive than buses.
In addition to accommodation, food, and transportation, there are a number of other expenses that NYSC corpers need to budget for in Delta State. These expenses include:
- Utilities (electricity, water, internet): The cost of utilities will vary depending on the size and location of your accommodation, as well as your usage habits. However, you can expect to spend around N5,000 per month on utilities.
- Phone bill: The cost of your phone bill will depend on your mobile phone plan and usage habits. However, you can expect to spend around N2,000 per month on your phone bill.
- Clothing: The cost of clothing will vary depending on your personal style and budget. However, you can expect to spend around N5,000 per month on clothing.
- Entertainment: The cost of entertainment will vary depending on your interests and budget. However, you can expect to spend around N5,000 per month on entertainment.
Total cost of living
The total cost of living for NYSC corpers in Delta State will vary depending on their lifestyle and where they choose to live. However, you can expect to spend around N50,000 to N60,000 per month on your basic expenses.
Tips to Save Money in Delta State
Here are some tips for saving money as an NYSC corper in Delta State:
- Cook your own meals instead of eating out all the time: Eating out can be expensive, especially if you do it often. Cooking your own meals is a great way to save money.
- Buy in bulk: Buying in bulk can save you money, especially on items that you use regularly. However, be sure to only buy in bulk if you have the space to store the items and if you will use them before they expire.
- Use public transportation instead of taxi: Taxis can be expensive, especially if you use them often. Public transportation is a more affordable option.
- Avoid impulse purchases: Impulse purchases can add up quickly. It is important to think carefully before making a purchase.
- Set a budget for yourself and stick to it: Setting a budget can help you to save money each month.
The cost of living in Delta State for NYSC corpers is relatively affordable. However, it is important to budget your money carefully and make smart financial decisions. By following the tips above, you can save money and enjoy your time in Delta State.
Delta State is a great place to serve as an NYSC corper. It is a culturally diverse state with a variety of economic opportunities and natural beauty. The people of Delta State are known for being friendly and welcoming.