Aga Khan University Medical Internship for African Medical Practitioners 2023
Aga Khan University Medical Internship for African Medical Practitioners 2023 – The goal of this program is to offer medical officer interns with high-quality training in both clinical and non-clinical domains. Interns consolidate information and skills learned in medical school and gain new ones in order to function as independent medical officers capable of rural or urban practice.
Medical Internship Benefits
By the end of the one-year training through the four departments, interns should be able to:
- Function as competent and caring physicians
- Assess and manage common medical and surgical conditions
- Manage emergencies and participate in resuscitations
- Start appropriate initial management and refer appropriately
- Perform common procedures
independently and efficiently
- Communicate with patients and their relatives effectively
- Work with their peers
- Acquire knowledge of commonly used drugs and their rational use
- Pass emergency training courses in medicine, surgery, pediatrics and obstetrics and gynecology
Our internship programme is a one-year
structured training programme comprising 3 months each in internal
medicine, paediatrics, surgery, and obstetrics and gynecology. The internship year at AKU provides:
- Opportunities to train alongside the PGME residents which is a great stimulus for future career tracks to pursue
- Access to a range of rich educational activities that invigorate learning e.g. Faculty Academic Rounds, Junior Researchers Day, Continuous Medical Education and Journal Clubs
- Structured training which mirrors the PGME programs, including work based assessment, assessed using the AKU intern logbook, in addition to the specific logbook issued by the medical board.
- Exposure to other medical specialties such as Family Medicine, Pathology, Anesthesiology and Emergency
Medicine, in addition to the main fourcdepartments.
Medical Internship Qualification Requirements
- Evidence of having completed undergraduate course in a recognised medical school in Kenya, OR
- Doctors qualified from medical schools within the East African Community (EAC) region and who qualify for reciprocal recognition OR
- Doctors who have attained the minimum requirement for admission to universities in Kenya, and have qualifications from outside the country must have passed the internship qualifying examinations set by thecKenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists’ Board (KMPDB)
- Evidence of having signed the Hippocratic Oath
- Passing the Internship Assessment Exam and interviews set by the Aga Khan University
Documents Required for Application
Interested candidates should submit the
following documents as part of their
1. Cover letter
2. A personal statement that includes future interests.
3. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
4. Certified academic certificates and transcripts
5. Three letters of reference
Medical Internship Interview date, Process and Venue
Programme directors and chief residents assess all interns rotating in the programme at the end of every three months within each discipline. The interns are also issued with Procedure and Skills logbooks for each rotation, which are duly completed for eligibility to proceed to the subsequent rotation. At the end of the training, an internship completion form is sent to the KMPDB subject to satisfactory completion of the Programme.
SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT
Applications for the 2023 intake will be open from March 31, 2023 and close on May 12, 2023. Applicants meeting the minimum entrance requirements will be invited to interview for the positions and those successful will be expected to join the the Programme on July 3, 2023. An intern’s appointment contract
is tenable for one year.
GOVERNANCE OF THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME
The overall responsibility of all interns and intern-related activities rests with the PGME Director and Internship Coordinators. The day-to-day administration of the Programme is managed by Internship Coordinators. The
specialty Programme Directors are responsible for training matters, patient care services service as well as interns during rotations in their respective departments.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted by
email to: [email protected]? or by post to:
Postgraduate Medical Education
Aga Khan University
P.O. Box 39340-00623
For any enquiries, contact us on:
Email: [email protected]? or Tel: +254 20 366 2106 / +254 20 366 2919
For more details, visit AKU website.