Africa Youth SDG innovation Award 2023 – Are you a young African entrepreneur who has created an innovative solution that has had a demonstrable beneficial impact on the continent’s accomplishment of the SDGs? If you answered yes, this call for applications is for you.
The United Nations Economic
Commission for Africa (UNECA), through its Subregional office for Southern Africa (SRO-SA), is partnering with the African Youth SDG Summit and AfriLabs to
showcase the innovation potential of young African entrepreneurs. The award aims to recognize and reward outstanding young entrepreneurial efforts, that have successfully developed an innovation to resolve a specific development problem for firms, governments, households and
communities and with an impact on the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Benefits of AfriLabs Africa Youth SDG innovation Award
- The 6 winners will be invited to present their innovation at the African Youth SDG Summit that will be held in Lusaka, Zambia in August 2023.
- The winners will also be invited to participate in person in one training on innovation that ECA SROSA will organize for small and medium-sized enterprises during 2023-2024. Costs of in-person participation will be borne by ECA.
- ECA SRO-SA will also sponsor the costs of their travel and participation to the Africa Tech Festival in Cape Town, South Africa, November 14-16, 2023.
The Africa Youth SDG innovation Award is open to:
- Any individual of African nationality who was between the age of 18 to 35 as at 31st December 2022
- Who has designed an innovative product or designed an innovative process to resolve a specific development problem for society, and with a demonstrated impact on the achievement of the SDGs.
- The innovation may have been commercialized or is about to eb commercialized.
- The innovative product or innovative process must be
original and must have been
developed no earlier than
31st December 2016.
Interview date, Process and
In a first round, applicants will be assessed by a jury composed of public and private sector stakeholders and the top 20 applicants will be invited for a
short interview. In a second round the jury will select 6 winners. Due
consideration will be given to gender balance and geographical diversity when selecting the winners.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
Applicants should submit a pitch deck of up to 15 slides in PPT, and an accompanying narrative in Word of no more than 1500 words outlining their innovative solution, by June 11, 2023 Submissions can be in either English or French.
The pitch deck and the narrative should cover the same scope, and include the following information:
- A brief overview of the
development problem the
- Aclear description of the innovative solution
- Anexplanation as to why the solution is innovative
- Adiscussion on how the innovative solution impacts positively on society and on the achievement of the SDGs. The relevant SDGs should be highlighted.
- Anexplanation on how thebinnovation was conceived, designed, applied and if applicable, commercialized (your innovation journey) and who were involved (describe your team members)
- Challengesencountered in developing and commercializing the innovation and how challenges were overcome
- Asummary of the business model that can be used to commercialize the innovation and potential for scalability
- Thestage of the development of the business (idea / Minimum Viable Product MVP/ established business/gaining traction / etc) including relevant figures wherever feasible (Monthly Active Users, Monthly Recurring Revenues, and others as relevant)
- Howdo you see the market for your innovation evolving and what are your future plans.
- Otherinformation you deem pertinent to include (e.g. challenges for getting innovation patented etc) For more Click Here.